Shelter - Sant Salvador de les Espases
The chapel of San Salvador de las Espadas is located on top of an isolated cliff, the point of confluence between the bishoprics of Sant Feliu and Vic and the municipalities of Esparreguera, Olesa de Montserrat and Vacarisses. Documented from the 14th century, it was the old chapel of the Castle of the Swords, documented since 985, and of which only the base of a circular tower remains.
Historically linked to the population of Esparreguera, it belongs to the municipality of this town and in the parish of Santa María de Olesa since March 18, 1868.
The current building corresponds to a reform of the sixteenth century. It has a single ship, back low-at the beginning of drawer-and without apsides. It was completely restored in 1924 thanks to the work of Father Joan SolÃ, Piarist of Terrassa. During the first days of the Spanish Civil War, uncontrolled people burned the inside of the chapel, destroying its Gothic altarpiece, the harmonium and the liturgical objects.
Currently, the chapel presides over an image of the Savior, the work of the artist from Amadeu Paltor. In the Museum of Terrassa (Castle of Vallparadís) the predella of the old altarpiece is preserved.
On April 22, 1949 was declared Cultural Asset of National Interest (BCIN), protection published in the Official State Gazette (BOE) on May 5, 1949.
In 1970, the Friends of San Salvador de las Espadas association was established, based in the parish church of Santa María de Olesa de Montserrat. It watches over its conservation, organizes the pilgrimage every year on the first Sunday of September and opens the doors of the chapel. Thursdays and Sundays
How to find us
We arrived in Olesa de Montserrat. Once in Olesa we have to look for one of the two sports centers in the town: El Salvador Boada. It is the sports center that is in the highest part of Olesa. There is a parking lot, we leave the car.
We take a forest track
Information thanks to: refugioslibres.com
ServicesDrinking water Fireplace Table
How to get there
Nearby hiking routes (< 15km)
- SL-C 51 la Torrota de Vacarisses
- SL-C 50 A la Mola des de Can Robert
- SL-C 55 Les Fonts de Rellinars
- PR-C 145.3 Sender de Sant Llorenç Savall
- PR-C 145 Sender de Sant Llorenç Savall
- SL-C 65 les cases de les Arenes
- PR-C 75 Rajadell circular
- PR-C 166 Volta al Puig Ventós
- SL-C 52 El Pont de Vilomara
- SL-C 56 Sender del Castell de Pera
- GR 5 Sitges - Montserrat - Canet de Mar
- GR 173.1 Vallès Natural
- GR 4
- PR-C 78 Anoia Montserratina
- PR-C 157 Montserrat
- SL-C 69 Coves de Mura
- PR-C 145.1 Sender de Sant Llorenç Savall
- SL-C 57 La pedra seca
- M2 - Itinerari La riera de Rajadell
- M3 - Itinerari Els pous de glaç i la riera de Guardiola
- M4 - Itinerari Del Cardener al Llobregat
- M5 - Itinerari Els cingles del Llobregat
- SL-C 54 A la Mola des de el coll d'Estenalles
- SL-C 53 De Sant Vicenç de Castellet a Sant Pere de Vallhonesta
- PR-C 19 Portal de Montserrat
- PR-C 13 Circular d'Ègara - Terrassa
- SL-C 61 A Sant Jaume de Vallhonesta pel camí dels Maquis
- PR-C 130 Sender de Manresa
- PR-C 30 de Sant Nicolau a Sant Llorenç Savall
- SL-C 67 Balmes, masies i molins
- PR-C 168 Camí de Vilalba
- PR-C 31 Camí dels Monjos
- GR-3 Sender Central de Catalunya