Shelter - Refugio Cabaña Verónica
The Verónica cabin is a small mountain refuge located in the municipality of Camaleño (Cantabria, Spain), at 2325 meters above sea level in the foothills of the Pico Tesorero, in the Central Massif of the Picos de Europa. Its name comes from that of one of the daughters of Conrado Sentíes, its promoter and architect.
It is open between Easter and October 12, has a capacity for six seats in bunk beds and is owned by the Cantabrian Mountain Sports and Climbing Federation. It is equipped with food, a gas stove, first aid kit, a special stretcher for evacuation of victims, a radio station belonging to Civil Protection and a meteorological station of the National Parks Network. There is no nearby water source.
This peculiar refuge-bivouac, of only 9 m², is well known among the mountaineers of the Picos de Europa, being, until 2007, the highest preserved refuge in the Iberian Peninsula.
Created at the request of the engineer Conrado Sentíes and his friend, the architect Luis Pueyo, it was inaugurated on August 13, 1961 and was built using the metal dome from the anti-aircraft battery of the USS Palau aircraft carrier, which was being scrapped in Sestao ( Vizcaya) It took seven days to assemble the pieces that were mounted on the back of a horse.
For years the state of abandonment made it a ruin and even suffered a fire, coming to think then of its demolition, although it was finally restored.
Contact+34 677614846 es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caba%C3%B1a_Ver%C3%B3nica Hiking association: Federación Cántabra de Deportes de Montaña y Escalada Guard name(s): Carlos León Revuelta
ServicesEmergency radio Food and beverages First aid kit Cooking space
How to get there
Nearby hiking routes (< 15km)
- PR-PNPE 27 Brez - Canal de las Arredondas
- PR-PNPE 18 Jou de los Cabrones
- PR-PNPE 15 Senda del Mercadillo
- PR-PNPE 23 Horcados Rojos
- PR-PNPE 3 Ruta del Cares
- PR-PNPE 21 Vega de Urriellu
- PR-PNPE 19 Canal de Camburero
- PR-PNPE 14 Montó (Valle de Prada)
- PR-PNPE 7 La Jocica - Carombo
- PR-PNPE 16 Collado Jermoso
- PR-PNPE 1 Ruta Frasinelli
- PR-LE 23 Arroyo de Orpiñas
- PR-LE 22 Valle del Naranco-Lechada
- PR-PNPE 28 Mazico de Ándara
- PR-PNPE 4 Vega de Ario
- PR-PNPE 24 Puertos de Aliva - Fuente De
- PR-PNPE 22 Peña Oviedo (El Cable - Mogrovejo)
- PR-PNPE 20 Ruta Monte Camba
- PR-AS 127 Senda de Caoru
- PRC-LE 24 Puerto de San Glorio